Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Chemotherapy - Session I

Guess what. I am done with my first chemo treatment! 1 down. 11 to go.


My appointment with Dr Azar was at 9:30. I didn't get in to see her until 10:30. Didn't really talk about anything. Just checked my central line and asked if I needed pain meds. Darren went with us and she told him, "No one calls me Doctor, just Azar." I don't know how long it will take me to get used to that though.

Next, went over to the chemo wing... I can say that 'cause it really is a whole wing on the 12th floor with an awesome view of the city. Met my nurse - Stephanie who gave me some pre-chemo meds (8 pills!) and eventually got my chemo hooked up. I guess it takes a while 'cause the pharmacist mixes it right there at the time of the appointment. But the drip actually only took about 2 1/2 hours.

Then, the pharmacist came over and explained my take home meds (pills) and the pump that I will wear for the next 48 hours. I am stylin' with my new fanny pack! I think everyone should have one and wear them whenever we are together. Wait till I put the sequins on it... I think this calls for an extra special craft night.

And then the nurse came back, unhooked the IV meds, hooked up my pump (see Note Below) and changed my bandage. My dad picked up my scripts for me or we might have had to wait a bit longer. Anyway, afterwards, I was hungry so we (me, mom & Sheila) stopped at McD's for a bite. So after about 6 hours total, here I am.

I don't feel too bad. A bit hot, and a bit of a headache... And now, starting to feel tired. I am told the side effects will get worse as time goes by so I am drinking an Iced Coke right now! Yay! It does feel a bit weird in my throat, kinda tingly and a bit hard to swallow (but that might just be allergies too :o) - anyway, I will deal with it as long as I can take it :o)


Note Below:
When I was first told about "the pump", I was told it was about the size of a banana. But we joked about not knowing what size of banana. Nevertheless, I decided I would affectionately call it my bananaphone. So anyway, today I got my bananaphone and it doesn't look like a banana at all. Sheila said out loud, what we were all thinking - "it looks like a condom inside a baby bottle". And that my friends, is exactly what it looks like!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking I might have to go find myself a black fanny pack.