Monday, April 21, 2008

Chemo Class...

So, I just got back from "chemo class"...

Mondo and Sheila met up with me and my mom and we grabbed a quick cup of coffee before we headed up to class. The nurse who held the class gave an introduction naming off my Oncology Team - including my doctor, nurses, pharmacist, dietitian and social worker. Then we watched a video. And then went over some information about chemotherapy in general. It seemed all very basic.

They gave us a list of symptoms to be aware of and I didn't leave before picking up a thermometer (even though I kept calling it a thermostat). I came away knowing that I have a team available to call 24/7 if I need to.

I also filled out the forms to participate in the Clinical Trial and should know within the next couple of days whether I will be in the Control Group or the Study Group. I saw a woman who was on her 10th week of receiving the same chemotherapy drugs that I would receive if I was selected to be in the Study Group. She looked pretty good to me considering the research I've done has been a little scary. Hasn't lost her hair and although her face had darker spots, she didn't have a horrible reaction.

Anh, it wasn't very exciting. But I will speak to my own nurse, about my own chemo drugs and side effects when I go in on April 30th for my first treatment.

Noticing the "good stuff" -
[x] being able to joke about it...
[x] lunch at Pete's Gyro Place...
[x] Colorado Mammoth!
[x] my new digital camera...
[x] good eyelash days (similar to good hair days, but when your eyelashes curl right and mascara goes on perfect :o)
[x] friends and family... always.

No comments: