Friday, March 21, 2008

Did he say "possibility of cancer"?

Thursday, March 20th was supposed to be my last full day of work before I was going to take a couple of vacation days and then go out on short term disability for the surgery. On Wednesday, March 19th - in the evening, my abdominal pain came back - with a vengeance. I didn't know how I was going to make it to work, but there were a few things I had to get done. Ugh.

Right away, I edited my vacation response for email and recorded my voicemail. I closed up open issues and I think just in time. I had to leave. I was in tears. Called Dr Vaughn's office, who immediately sent another prescription for some more antibiotics. Had Mario walk me out to my car and managed to drive myself to Kaiser to pick up new meds. Went home and spent the rest of the day and the next vacation day in bed.

Dr Vaughn called me on Friday, March 21st to see how I was doing. This is how I remember the conversation, it is definitely not word for word.
Me: A little better. It seems like the meds are working pretty fast.
Dr V: I got your results from the (Pre-Op Procedure) and there is an abnormality. If you were older, I would be concerned of the possibility of cancer. The technician would like for you to come in for an Endoscopy, but I don't think I want to put anything into your body right now to risk a (lesion?). I don't want to risk the infection. I recommend we stay on schedule with the surgery.
Me: Sounds good to me. Did he say "possibility of cancer"?

No comments: