Friday, February 29, 2008

Allright already - Part II

So I call into work and let my boss know that this is going to take more than a couple of hours. I was referred to the ER and I might not be back in. But everything is okay - just a financial consideration here. Did I say that more to ease her mind... or mine?

As I'm driving around Saint Joseph's looking for ER parking, I start to think to myself that isn't it kind of strange to be driving yourself to the Emergency Room? Something about that doesn't seem right. I found parking though, and it was pretty convenient.

When I'm seen by the triage nurse, I tell her about my morning at Kaiser and how my doctor had referred me over for a CT scan. She isn't the warmest person and proceeds to tell me that my symptoms would indicate a UTI or maybe an ovarian cyst, in which case they wouldn't do anything about it.

NO!!! In that case, let me make up some symptoms. Anything to be seen by a real doctor who will take the time to figure out what is going on. I don't care if it's OB. I don't care if it's GI. I just want to know!

Either way, I'm sent out to wait until there is an exam room for me. Thank God that when I am called back, the nurse I get is really nice and seems to ask me questions that pertain to my hurt, rather than to something else I don't have. The doctor comes in and lets me know that they are going to send me up for an ultrasound. And I get an IV and some pain meds. Thank you!

The ultrasound technician (also very nice) says "yes, there is definitely something there. I can see why you are in pain. Twenty years and I've never seen anything like it. I don't know what it is." Umm, are you really supposed to say those kinds of things out loud? But I look at the screen as she points out "This is your ovary, and right here - this is a mass, that is probably what is causing your pain. And on this side, your other ovary." She'll need to do another - really in depth and really uncomfortable ultrasound. Lot's of photos later, she says she will go and review with the doctor and see if they want to come in and give me an exam as well.

I call my mom. I was thinking, Darren was supposed to be going to winter camp this weekend and I might not even be able to say goodbye cause I am tied up in here. I thought I would get the fasting lab done today, I didn't expect all this. And, Bethany had organized a birthday dinner for me at Hibachi Grill! I wasn't even sure I would make that. Well, I tell my mom where I am at and that they found something. Not sure what it is yet. And I start to cry a little bit. I don't know why. It wasn't because I was scared. But I think mostly because I was so relieved that they finally found something! I was emotional about it, but it was such a relief. She asked if I wanted her to come meet me since I was alone, but I didn't want her to. I just asked her if she would make sure to get Darren off to camp, pick up a few things I had forgotten and tell him I said goodbye if I wasn't able to call in time. And I told her I would keep her updated on what was going on with me.

After my ultrasound, I'm told I will be sent for a CT scan. Awesome, that's what I'm here for. The pain meds are wonderful, but I am unable to eat or drink anything and I am soooooo thirsty. After the CT scan, I wait for the doctor to come back in. And I wait. And wait. When she finally does, she tells me I have diverticulitis and the pain is from an infection in my large intestine - an abscess to be exact. Surgery is recommended to remove that part of my guts. Okay, those weren't her exact words, but you know.. More waiting, I thought to find out when I am going to have the surgery. She made it sound like it would happen that day. Definitely no food or drink. What time is it? 2pm or so? Then a surgeon comes in. Dr Vaughn. He again explains the disease (diverticulosis) and the complication of the disease that I am experiencing (diverticulitis). Oh yeah, the CT scan also shows that I have gall stones, so they would like to remove my gallbladder while they're in there. Okay. So I thought that I was waiting to go into surgery, but I think we were waiting for the surgeon to get the blood work results back. He wants to admit me to the hospital for a few days to give me antibiotics intravenously. The surgery shouldn't be done until the infection and inflammation has healed up. Oh man! No Hibachi Grill tonight.

But, I can have a 7up.

No comments: